Friday, April 4, 2014

Monarchy

When I was little, growing up in suburban Chicago, I remember Milkweed pods being everywhere. We would break open their brittle shells and play with the creamy silk in the center. I haven't seen a Milkweed plant in years. The plant has become more and more scarce over the past 15 years. And that is in large part because Roundup is sprayed over most farm fields and it kills indiscriminately, both invasive and beneficial vegetation.The Milkweed plant is the primary habitat for the Monarch Butterfly. They lay their eggs in them. The eggs hatch and the caterpillars eat the Milkweed. Come to think of it I haven't seen a Monarch in a long time either....
The Monarch is completely dependent upon the milkweed plant. So I'm going to plant Milkweed! I haven't seen any along the local roadsides so I did some Googling and found http://www.monarchwatch.org/ They are tracking migration and trying to preserve habitat for the Monarch. I ordered from them a Monarch Waystation Kit for about $20. It includes Milkweed seeds as well as a variety of other butterfly/Monarch attracting plants. I've already picked a spot for my little butterfly sanctuary. They will have a safe place and I will have their help with pollinating. Carving out a small part of my landscape and setting it aside for a threatened species seems to me like a worthwhile project. Good for them, good for me, good for the planet. (Pictures to follow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment